What kind of bolts and size timber should I use ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

This spring's project is to build a lean to store a few bikes etc. The shape will be roughly like the picture below.

Does anyone have some advice re. what kind of bolts I should use to fix the wall bearer to the side of the house? Also what size timber for the roof joists. It will be a polycarb roof buT i will need to get up there to do the flashings etc so will need to be reasonably sturdy (am thinking 50mm x 75mm at 400mm centres ?

Thanks

upload_2020-1-22_12-8-18.png

Sponsored Links
Don't forget a gutter. And space the feet of the posts off the ground on concrete pads or steel shoes or both, as they will rot

It would look better and be stronger with a 5x2 or something rather than 3x2’s.

50x100 @ 600 centres and noggins at 1/3 span if it's wider than 2.1m.

Likewise for the bearer plate, fixed with 120 x m10 sleeved anchors @ 600 centres.

You should prep the flashing beforehand, and fit it after fixing each roof sheet, so you don't need to get on the roof afterwards.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back