Lean-to/shed for housing washing machine/tumble dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice please. I'm a beginner at this kind of stuff, so please feel free to treat me like a philistine I won't be offended!

I am in the process of buying a new house and for one reason or another the kitchen is a little too small for our needs (1st baby on the way!). One option we have had suggested is to convert the current shed (or build a new one) to house the washing machine and/or the tumble dryer. A rought idea of the floor plan is shown below:

The red outline shows where we would like to build a shed/lean-to (you can click on the diagram to enlarge I think). (Ignore the fact that it looks like there is a window in the shared wall, this is not the case).

There is currently a small freestanding shed in this position, but its probably not big enough for what we need, so we'll most likely need to build a new one. However, before I start thinking in too much detail about this project i'd appreciate some comments/thoughts on the questions below please:

- Main question: what would be the pros/cons of building a lean-to rather than a free standing shed (NB I may not be using the correct terminology here... by lean-to I really just mean that the shed will be 'attached' to the exterior wall of the kitchen and share that existing wall)

- If I decide to go down the 'lean-to' route I figure I have a couple of options... either build a bespoke shed/lean-to from scratch or buy a pre-fab shed from a DIY shop and adapt it as required. I know you can download plans from the web. My DIY skills are reasonably competent as far as carpentry goes. Can anyone who has done this give me some ball-park advice on how difficult it is? How long it would take? Advantages in terms of costs over buying a pre-fab shed from a DIY shop (if there are any?)

- One of the main requirements will be that we take the plumbing and electricity through the exterior wall from the kitchen. Would a lean-to make this an easier job than a freestanding shed? (I'm reasoning that in this case we could just install some electricity points on the outer side of the kitchen wall, rather than cabling to the shed even if thats only a matter of inches). Does this have implications for planning permission or building regulations?

- In my experience washing machines tend to vibrate a lot...! Would it be ok to site a washing machine on a typical 'shed-style' floor or would I need to adapt some kind of concrete base to site the shed on?

- Finally, apologies for posting this in two seperate themes - I wasn't sure if this is best suited to the garden or general building themes. Moderators - please feel free to delete or move if required.

Many thanks for your advice,

Tom

Sponsored Links
Tom,
Some Park Homes where I live have these:
http://bit.ly/p8Igk4
outside their homes for the washer and tumble drier, side by side.
Plastic backing makes it easy enough to get the plumbing through and they are weatherproof and lockable with a padlock.

dave

You need to think about cold winters and protect the plumbing etc. What I would do assuming a lean-to is the best option and you have no space for an internal door, is to insulate / weather-proof it very well and have an opening from the house (window, "hole", etc) so the lean-to gets heated. Then its almost part of the house but without an internal door (your sink is in the way !).

But if you are doing this, its almost worth putting a "conservatory" or "porch" (to be building regs exempt) to infill the gap between the kitchen and the back room.

It all depends on budget, but an uninsulated shed with washing machine and plumbing and freezing outside doesn't sound like much fun.

Any normal washing machine on a normal shed floor would have the building shaking itself to bits on spin cycle (unless you get an expensive Miele machine), so I think you'd need a concrete base (could be flagstones on a DPM).

Simon.

Sponsored Links
Hi Tom!

What did you do in the end for your appliances? This is exactly the situation we have!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back