Leaning Mechanics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a while now I have been trying to learn all I can about fixing cars. I have read a number of books and fixed my car whenever something needs doing. However I feel like I need more practical experience.

Unfortuantley even though it is 9 years old my car doesn't go wrong that often. I looked at evening courses but they are all either very basic 'How to change your plugs' type courses or they are the full time C & G courses which I can't do with a full time job.

I thought about buying an old engine off Ebay and stripping it but although that will teach me a bit, I wont really know if I have put it back together properly. So then I thought about getting a project car, maybe an old MOT failure. I want something fairly modern (fuel injected) so I can practise diagnostics on it as well. I might pull the engine, rebuild it and then I have a car to put it back into. I can also look at other things like brakes.

Anyone got any suggestions for a good car? Something with cheap parts would be good.

Also can anyone suggest some good books? I have got Hilliers Vols 1/2/3, The engine builders handbook, books about camshafts and cylinder heads.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not consider the K11 Micra (Noddy shape) up to 2003?
Cheap, lots of low mileage ones about, and largely rust free (yr 2000 on).....cheap parts from a factors and dead simple to work on.
Keep the miles off the Audi, and even sell it on for a small profit!
Just listen for timing chain noise - if there's none the engine is generally bullet proof.
John :)

Loads of cheap cars on www.easysalvage.co.uk

Consider a part-time job on the weekends in a small garage. Its the only way you will get exposure to the type of work you really need to find your feet.

The smaller establishments do better work (more varied) and may be only to delighted for you to join their team.

Books and stuff are great, but can only go so far.

Sponsored Links
Back