Learning how to Quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys

Anyone tell me if this price per m2 would be right, roughly?

£104.10 per m2

This would include, dress / hole slates, fix underlay and install slates?

based on 2 Tradesmen and 1 labour

Trade @ £8.00p/h
Labourer @ £6.50 p/h

Just trying to learn how to quote :D

Area is Scottish Borders

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
An easy way would be work out how long the job is going to take,price the materials etc then add £300 per day for your labour,then add a few quid on for the unexpected(not alot,just abit so you have a bit of lee way).You also should have a minimum charge ie if you got to replace one slate and it takes you 10 mins you cannot just charge 10 mins labour,My minimum charge is £100 if im called out to do a repair up to 1 hours labour,what you must take into account is you must travel,there,back and pay who ever is with you.If im on a job and the person next door or down the road wants a slate or a few slates in and your already there thats a different matter,then its just a bit of pocket money,say £40.Also dont give free estimates if the house is for sale,thats a roof survey which is not free.

Thanks for the help guys

So Cumbrianroofer you say charge a minimum fee of £100, this would be £100 charge + travel for anything less than an hours work then after an hour, you charge at the usual rate say £25.00 per hour?

My boss currently charges £25.00 for me and £15.00 per hour for the apprentice, but I get paid £8.50 and apprentice is £5.00.. Not a bad profit he makes on us lol

My boss currently charges £25.00 for me and £15.00 per hour for the apprentice, but I get paid £8.50 and apprentice is £5.00.. Not a bad profit he makes on us lol

But out of that he has to pay his wages, advertise, quote jobs, pay your tax/NI etc etc etc.

But out of that he has to pay his wages, advertise, quote jobs, pay your tax/NI etc etc etc.

The employer , although liable for employers national insurance payments, actually stops the employees tax and NI contributions out of the employees wages. (cost to employer nil , unless you take into account the couple of minutes spent on a computer calculating the tax and NI).
BTW, my last employer used to charge almost £40 per hour per employee on shopfits. (we were lucky to get £10 an hour)

If your pricing this job up as a weekend job, foreigner, barrow job etc etc. Then take your employers charge as a starting point. £40 per hour (for 2 employees).
Knock a bit off (say £10 per hour). That leaves £20 ph for you and £10 ph for your labrador.
I sincerely hope your customer is paying for the materials? Been caught out a few times with customers who have the work done then refuse to pay.

If the OP is getting £8.50 per hour before tax he's better off finding something else!
I agree,i pay £150 per day to my old man who works for me(3 days a week) but i laso pay subbies that same when i need them.Bear in mind your boss has to make sumin on you otherwise what the point but @ £8.50 per he sounds like greedy so and so.Why not buy a van,bang an advert in the yellow pages and tell your boss to stick it?Work one day a week and you will make the same as you make doing a week for your boss,almost?Once you do it for yourself i guarantee you wont ever work for anyone else again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back