Leaving bare brick behind a bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

This may be a stupid question but thought it best to ask :oops:

I have a 9" brick wall (internal) to re-render that will have a bath along its length. Currently it is stripped back to brick 1-1.5m high due to salt contamination and having a DPC injected.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to leaving the bottom of the wall (covered by the bath) bare brick?

Eg instead of rendering to the floor stop an inch or 2 beneath the bath rim leaving the rest un-covered.

Would this allow better breathing of the wall and allow it dry if ever damp again. Or would i be inviting problems?

Cheers Neil

Sponsored Links
Makes sense. As long as you have a few inches of render below the bath rim as you said. That gives you somewhere to fit the bath against to seal it and tile it. Hopefuly, your damp treatment will work.

Cheers for the reply :)

Put a scratch coat on last night (4:1+water proofer) hoping to do the top coat (5:1+water proofer?) this evening and rule it nice and flat with the existing plaster to make the tiling easier.

Any point in finishing further if it is to be tiled?

As for the damp, pretty sure is sorted and probably down to penetrating more than rising, was just the salts that made me think rising. DPC injection is more a belt and braces measure.

Thanks Neil

Sponsored Links
No need to skim area which is going to be tiled. Sand and cement is a great base for tiling,,, ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back