Lebanese attack on UN building.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a newsoholic and whenever there is a major incident I watch a lot of the three news channels.

Whereas I understand the feelings of the Lebanese and the Israelis, I am very disappointed that firstly so many Lebanese are so openly supporting the Terrorists and particularly that they have now wrecked the United Nations building. The local army stood by watching!

The UN has been trying to help the Lebanese and thats the way they thank them. I think that the UN would be justified in turning their back on the whole country.

What many people here dont realise is that the vast majority of the current population of Lebanon are resettled displaced Palestinians who have an inbred hatred of Israel. The original Christian and Jewish people had no problem with Israel.

If you stand at the border on the coast between the two countries its very sad to see the railway line which used to run along the coast in less troubled times.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Lebanese attack on UN building.

Was that before the Israeli Air Force bombed the UN observers' post and killed them all, or after?

Agile said:
I am a newsoholic and whenever there is a major incident I watch a lot of the three news channels.

Whereas I understand the feelings of the Lebanese and the Israelis, I am very disappointed that firstly so many Lebanese are so openly supporting the Terrorists and particularly that they have now wrecked the United Nations building. The local army stood by watching!

The UN has been trying to help the Lebanese and thats the way they thank them. I think that the UN would be justified in turning their back on the whole country.

What many people here dont realise is that the vast majority of the current population of Lebanon are resettled displaced Palestinians who have an inbred hatred of Israel. The original Christian and Jewish people had no problem with Israel.

If you stand at the border on the coast between the two countries its very sad to see the railway line which used to run along the coast in less troubled times.

Tony

Well, I see this quite differently. I truly believe that you do not understand the feelings of the Lebanese, as you say that you do, else would not post like this, with all due respect.

Firstly, the violent protest and ransacking of the UN building can surely be understood as an act of utter frustration. It happened in the aftermath of the bombing of Qana where the majority who died appear to be children. I suggest that maybe the Lebanese protestors feel very let down by many people including the UN who are supposed to help protect them, but in reality have little power to do so.

Read the report on this attack to see how it may affect a person living in the country who hears their country's children are killed in this way:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5228224.stm

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5228972.stm

I honestly find it quite sad that you should submit a post on the Lebanese attack on the UN building, instead of on the Qana attack or any clear reference to this attack which prompted the protest.

Maybe you should ask the UN what they think should be done? They do not want to turn their backs on the Lebanese people, but are frustrated on their behalf. If the UN see anyone at fault here, it is Israel.

Israel has bombed a lot of the infrastructure, such as roads and bridges. They've told the Lebanese people to go north, but continued to attack killing many of those who tried to flee. The UN had asked for a 72 hour ceasefire to help the innocent evacuate the area...Israel denied it and continued bombing, even attacking some convoys that were fleeing. Not everyone has transport to leave, even if they do, fuel is hard to come by. The poorest have little chance to escape and were left in dangerous places like Qana. An Israeli military spokesman blamed Hezbollah for the deaths in Qana :eek: ....this total lack of accepting any responsibilty and remorse will only serve to fan the flames of enmity.

JohnD made a very valid point about the Israeli airstrikes on the UN compound which killed UN members. The UN had warned the Israeli's that they were bombing too close to this compound and the Israeli's said that they would stop...they did not. UN officials were killed. Why did you not bring this issue up?

It is sad that so many Lebanese have sympathy with the military actions of Hezbollah against Israel, but quite understandable. Hezbollah is not only a military organisation, but also helps the Lebanese people with many social services, so they will gain support from these activities. Israel has destroyed much of Lebanon before and is doing so again now; Hezbollah opposes Israel militarily, however wrong it may seem in your eyes, but the Lebanese may well see it as an enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Maybe these resettled displaced Palestinians have an inbred hatred for Israel precisely because they are displaced and have been resettled! How would you feel if you and yours were thrown out of your homeland?

Hezbollah was wrong to kill and kidnap the Israeli soldiers that they did, but the response has also been wholly disproportionate and reduced the possibility of peace considerably.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5180202.stm

Tony Blair's failure to call for an immediate ceasefire is heartless and shortsighted as it will only serve to perpetuate the belief that the West does not really care for certain people as much as others. Lebanon has spent much of its recent resources rebuilding the country's infrastructure, at the cost of a weak military. Much of the infrastructure is again destroyed. It is understandable how people and governments might feel the need for a very strong military and even nuclear capabilities for their country if the international community does not help protect them against attacks.

Sponsored Links
Do you think if Blair called for a ceasefire that israel would? Lets just imagine for one minute if a ceasefire was to happen from 12 tomorrow, honestly what do you think would happen? A ceasefire will eventually be called ( and quote me on this) Hesbolah will **** it up, i guarantee it and when they do this will happen, which always does //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57739&start=0

I agree with noodlz post but was just thinking about how we in the ''civilised'' west are always being told how lucky we are, freedom of speech etc but would we be able to express our ''utter frustration with violent protest and ransacking of the UN building'' without some sort of intervention from the authorities?

Israel was born out of world guilt in 1948. Without that guilt it would never have been tollerated.

Why is everyone making such a fuss about Lebanon? You must all have short memories. Do you remember Falujia? You didn't bat an eylid when it was the USA and it's allies (us) doing the killing. So why the fuss now?

From Wikipedia:

"In November, 2004, the U.S military launched a massive assault on the city. Estimates by one Iraqi N.G.O puts the number of deaths in the assault at 4000-6000. There were reports that cluster bombs and white phosphorous, a controversial incendiary weapon, were used on the city. Initially the Pentagon denied the use of the latter weapon but later, after testimony by U.S soldiers, admitted using it.[4]"

At least the Israelis attempt to hit the bad guys with legal weapons.

joe-90 said:
Why is everyone making such a fuss about Lebanon? You must all have short memories. Do you remember Falujia? You didn't bat an eylid when it was the USA and it's allies (us) doing the killing. So why the fuss now?

From Wikipedia:

"In November, 2004, the U.S military launched a massive assault on the city. Estimates by one Iraqi N.G.O puts the number of deaths in the assault at 4000-6000. There were reports that cluster bombs and white phosphorous, a controversial incendiary weapon, were used on the city. Initially the Pentagon denied the use of the latter weapon but later, after testimony by U.S soldiers, admitted using it.[4]"

At least the Israelis attempt to hit the bad guys with legal weapons.

Like i said LOOK HERE //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57739&start=0

Sponsored Links
Back