LED disco

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have replaced six MR16/GU5.3 halogen bulbs and transformers (one on each light) with MR16/GU5.3 5W LEDs and drivers (one on each light 0.5-12W).
When I flick the switch it is like a disco with five of the lights continually flashing on and off. The sixth bulb stays on.
I'm no electrician but this was meant to be a straight swap as far as I was aware. What is happening?!
I know there is an option to go GU10 and avoid the need for drivers but as I already have them may as well do it this way.
These lights are operated by three seperate switches if that makes a difference.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Lamps not compatible with the Drivers , is the usual cause, are they on a Dimmer.
Do they all flash in sync together or random

Hi
Not on dimmers. I have used the same lamps with the same drivers for a 3 bulb swap elsewhere and was fine. That was from a single switch.
They flash in succession one after the other, like runway lights!

Strange, maybe the mains voltage is low, however Drivers usually have a wide supply voltage range

Sponsored Links
Seems the one bulb that was staying on was 600mA rather than 580mA for the flashing ones, same in every other way though. Changed them all to 600mA and now thay are all working properly!
Any explanation for that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back