LED Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Client wants LED downlights in a kitchen & bathroom. They give a very different type and spread of light so I find estimating numbers for a given area difficult. LV halogens or GU10 halogens or CFL are much easier.

Is there any guide to the spacing of fittings to get a known lux level? Or a rule of thumb? For example I tend to use a 1200mm grid when clients want 35/50W halogen downlighters.

I'm thinking about standard mains GU10 (60mm hole size) fire rated downlighter bodies with GU10 1.8W LED lamps with 20 LED's in them.

They will also have LED undercabinet lights probably 0.12W triangular undercabinet light fittings - any ideas on spacings of these along a run of cabinets to provide a good working light - I'm thinking 400-500lux.

Sponsored Links
Has your customer actually seen these lights? If he/she is under the impression that they are as good as halogens but lower energy then there might be a problem when it comes to paying your invoice!

Based on my own experimentation I would suggest that you would certainly need to halve the spacing that you normally use with halogens.

Demonstrated GU10 halogen; GU10 LED & GU10 CFL - customer prefers LED. Discussed the error of their ways at length but the customer is getting what the customer wants - loads of LED's - but I'm going to use 12v LEDs and massively overspec the trannies so when they finally realise how dark it is they can swop over to 12v halogens and finally see the error of their ways!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back