r50 ses downlights need replacing

29 Jan 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I have R50 SES downlights fitted in my kitchen, hallway and living room with halogen bulbs

Ive tried fitting replacing the halogen with SES R50 LEDs in them but some just wont screw in properly! ive decided to replace all the fittings with the modern GU10 fittings as the LEDs for them seem cheaper anyway.

Id like to get them replaced with GU10 fire rated downlights but can see they require larger hole cuttings in the ceiling.

The current downlight hole is 60mm and I dont want to go to the hassle of making bigger holes in the ceiling.

I can find downlights that fit 60mm hole but they are not fire rated.

Where can I find fire rated downlights that would fit 60mm holes?

Im not sure if my current downlights are fire rated, they were installed 12 years ago. Could I modify my current ones by removing the SES lamp in the downlight and replacing them with GU10 lamp? Ill attach a screenshot of what I have currently.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
the fire rated ones seem to be only a couple of pounds more than the non-fire rated ones.

happy to spend the extra for the protection is provides though i dont believe theres a legal requirement for me to have this in my house.

Only issue I have is that im not keen on enlarging the ceiling holes to accomodate the larger sizes they appear to require, would mean the job takes much longer and dust/debris as I have quite a few downlights in the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local