Bathroom lighting layout and extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Took a false T&G ceiling down and forgot to note where the 3 downlights were.
False ceiling is to hide the coombed ceiling at the external wall.
Gave pretty good light except over the sink for shaving, etc.

All lights quite new. Binned the old R50 spots in the last couple of years.

Existing fittings - Bought these as they filled the R50 cutouts in the T&G ceiling
Existing bulbs

Crude drawing of the bathroom with where I am thinking of placing them.

All 3 downlights are wired into the original ceiling rose (no lid)
Presume this needs improving?

Would also like to add an extractor fan and would like the option of a timer.
1mm 3 core and earth required I believe?

Attachments

• Bath Light1.jpg
    Bath Light1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
I am not an electrician but I believe that the connection at the old ceiling rose needs to be upgraded to a MF (maintenance free) box given that it will not be accessible.

In the past I have used WAGO boxes, but an electrician should be along soon to give you sound advice.

If the ceiling is down then ditch those big hole cover things and buy some smaller downlights.
Position lights where they will light up you.
Eg. One over the batth/shower, over the bog. One over the sink, it needs to light your FACE, unless you have an illuminated mirror. One more to light area inside the door.
As above, unless you have access to the ceiling space you’ll need a maintenance free junction box.
1mm cable will be fine. You’ll need 3core&earth for the fan gubbins. Follow the fan wiring diagram. Plan plan plan.

Thanks chaps.

Presume I could fit a cover to the rose and then run a cable from that to a MF junction box?
I have a mixed box of Wagos.

Flex or flat for the fan or doesn't it matter?
Currently flex from the rose to the lights.

Yes. Was thinking about fitting smaller downlights.
I do want replaceable bulbs.

This look better? Not sure about the one above the loo.
Taps/Shower at the top of the pic.

Attachments

• Bath Light2.jpg
    Bath Light2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 13
Sponsored Links
Presume I could fit a cover to the rose and then run a cable from that to a MF junction box?
No. You remove the rose, replace the connections in it with the MF junction box, and then have a cable from that to the first downlight, then another cable from that to the next light and so on.

The rose has screw terminal connections in it, which if being kept must remain accessible.

No. You remove the rose, replace the connections in it with the MF junction box, and then have a cable from that to the first downlight, then another cable from that to the next light and so on.

The rose has screw terminal connections in it, which if being kept must remain accessible.
Thanks Flameport
I didn't know that maintenance free meant no screws terminals. I do now :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back