Kitchen LED - COB lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have two recessed LED lights in the kitchen ceiling, controlled by a single "normal" light switch, which have both stopped working. As they are very bright I'm not sure if one had stopped before the other or both stopped together.

At first I assumed these were GU10 bulbs (which are fitted elsewhere in the flat) but when I looked inside I think they are actually COB lights*. I've taken one out of the ceiling and there is a push-fit wiring connection**.

If it's just the bulbs that need replacing, do you replace the whole unit including the black casing?

If it isn't the bulbs, could it be a wiring fault instead?

TIA :)

*They look like this https://www.nationallighting.co.uk/...e-downlight-warm-white-3000k-ip65-800lm-white

**Wiring connection similar to this https://www.electrical-showroom.co....position-dimmable-warm-white-led-white-finish

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry, you'll have to clarify.

The first link shows a 230v downlight where the mains is connected to the lamp itself.
The second shows an external (I assume) driver/power supply of some sort.

Which is yours?

If it isn't the bulbs, could it be a wiring fault instead?
Of course it could, or the switch. Could be all sorts of reasons.
Do you have a voltage tester (not a neon screwdriver or one of those magic wands)? You'll need something if you are contemplating fault finding.

Sorry, for clarity:

The lights are ultimately connected to the mains. The light I removed has a push-fit connector as shown in the second link. I don't know what this connects into (not at home ATM) - would you expect there to be a driver between the mains and the lights?

Of course they are “ultimately connected to the mains”. We need to know what voltages are on the push fit connector. What is the exact make and model of your lights?
Some need an external driver, some are integrated with a driver on board.

Ps. That second link does not show any type of connector.

Sponsored Links
???

upload_2019-1-4_16-37-54.png

If its a small 2pin connector with thin wires, then that usually connects to the driver poked up in the ceiling, either could have failed, so possibly best to buy a fitting and it will come with a driver.

Often a Constant current driver and an odd size thats hard to get on its own
If you have more than 1 light the same, then you can test the head on another driver, but you risk blowing that driver.

Cob is nothing too do with anything related, that is really just the light source, a Gu10 can also be a COB

The most common for Led is,
SMD surface mounted device, usually loads of little light sources.
COB chip on board, usually 1 big light source usually yellow in colour.

Either can be used with a driver in the ceiling, driver in the light housing, or driver built into a Lamp like a GU10 or BC etc

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back