LED / COB; have I a dude one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

We have a couple of floor lights that have 300w halogen bulbs running through a dimmer. The give a lovely light when bounced off the ceiling, but the cost of running 300w sets my teeth on edge.

So I recently bought a 12W LED / COB (dimmable) replacement, that apparently is around 1000 lumens. It is probably not 1000lms, but should be sufficiently bright.

However, it is not what I would call, very bright, and it flickers. My guess is the halogen dimmer is not suitable for LED and/or, the dimmer is reducing the brightness.

I don't need it to dim, but was wondering if taking the dimmer out of the line, the bulb would be brighter?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link to the lumen calculator. Quite useful.

Certainly, I did not expect the output to be similar to a 300w halogen, but did expect it to 'appear' more than it does. The other issue of course, is with downlighters, they appear bright and are illuminting via direct light. With thei lamp, it bounces off the ceiling so obviously, there will be an illumination reduction.

Will take the dimmer off line and see if there is an improvement.

Sponsored Links
Installed the COB LED via a chock-block and the output looked very similar to when running through the dimmer.

Using the above linked calculator, seems that the original 300 w halogen is around 6000lu. so I am unlikely to get that kind of output from a 12w LED.

So will probably reinstall the halogen.

Very rough guide for halogen vs. (present technology) LED is about 6:1, in other words you'd expect to be looking for about a 50w LED to replace a 300w halogen.

300w halogen bulbs running through a dimmer. The give a lovely light when bounced off the ceiling, but the cost of running 300w sets my teeth on edge
When dimmed they will not be drawing 300w. I would use a power meter to see what they actually draw when dimmed to see if all the messing about with inferior LED replacements is really worth it

Most legacy dimmers need a load of at least 40watts to make them work. You are only loading up about 12W that's why you are getting flickering.
You need a trailing edge dimmer suitable for dimming LEDs. The Varilight V-PRO range are good at the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back