LED lights in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm looking to replace the LED downlights in my kitchen. The current setup doesn't work well - the lights only come on with the second or third flick of the switch and when they do, they start to flicker after a short time. I found out that this is down to the current system using a transformer, rather than an LED driver.

I purchased a driver from Integral LED (50W Constant Voltage LED Driver, 200-240VAC to 12VDC:

https://integral-led.com/products/d...tage-led-driver-200-240vac-12vdc-non-dimmable

Plus six LED downlights from the same company:

https://integral-led.com/products/d...ed-downlight-round-white-insulation-guard-and

I'm going to fit 5w bulbs in each, so that will be 30w total.

Now, rather than faff around in the loft, I thought I'd see how they work by wiring one LED and the driver to an ordinary 3-pin plug. Thing is, the light doesn't come on. I tried two lights in series and still nothing. Current is going into the driver OK and coming out the other side.

Is there a minimum wattage that should be in the circuit for them to light up? If not, any other ideas on what could be wrong?

Cheers
Pete

Sponsored Links
Pete,
1) You do not wire bulbs in series (which suggests one single wire going in a big loop). The should be in Parallel (which suggests one double wire, going to the first bulb and then (if 12V dc) connecting to the +ve and -ve and then going to second bulb and connecting to the +ve and -ve, and so on until last bulb, with no wire looping back).

2) Some drivers do need a higher Wattage before they emit, BUT ......

2) Your link
https://integral-led.com/products/d...ed-downlight-round-white-insulation-guard-and
only shows the Bulb housing, not the bulb. So I cannot determine if you used 12V (dc) or 240V (ac) bulbs.
And I note that this spec sheet for the bulb housing mentions MAINS voltage, suggesting that they are being used with 240V (mains) bulbs.

Please can you confirm what
>> type of bulb you are using... Is it GU10, MR16, etc?
>> voltage bulb you are using... Does it say 240V (ac), 12V (dc) or 12V (ac)?
>> suggest you read the side of the bulb itself to see if any writing?

SFK

Sponsored Links
Pete,
Okay sorted - you have identified the issue.
Then the bulbs you have need wiring directly to the mains without the LED driver.
You do not need the driver with those bulbs.

Note that best to use the correct rated wire and ensure good earth when using these 240V bulbs.
If not within your experience always best to get an electrician to do this.
SFK

Forgot to report back. This went very well - replaced three existing lights, added three new ones and it all worked fine.

>> type of bulb you are using... Is it GU10, MR16, etc?

Not again.

Most GU10s are MR16, i.e. multifaceted reflector 16 eights of an inch in diameter. MR16 is NOT a base or voltage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back