Powering LED Strip

This is what I mean by led driver (LED power supply). Just an example from the net.

upload_2015-11-11_21-21-39.png

Sponsored Links
That's a dimmer. The installation sheet shows it powered from 12 - 24 VDC and its output connected to the LED strip. Just find a 12V PSU with an output rating greater than your LEDs need, and use it to supply the item you linked to.

Sponsored Links
So as we discussed then a 2.5A 12V PSU like a laptop one.

I was just struggling to see why all the led web sites are pushing the LED driver (transformer/psu) like the one pictured above, and all the ebay ones are pushing the laptop style psu brick. Therefore I thought the laptop style brick may not be supplying a true constant voltage or not able to handle the PWM or something like that.

Didn't want to burn out my leds prematurely, or worse still start a fire!

Don't worry about constant voltage. Your LED controller/driver/dimmer thingy will be happy with any input from 12 to 24 V DC.

Ah, in that case I have an unused HP laptop 18.5V, 3.5A PSU lying around!

I assumed if you send in 18.5V, it would output 18.5V, my led strip requires 12v.

Thanks for your help.

Ah, in that case I have an unused HP laptop 18.5V, 3.5A PSU lying around!

I assumed if you send in 18.5V, it would output 18.5V, my led strip requires 12v.

Thanks for your help.

Indeed. It is not clear. If you input 18.5v it may output PWM 18.5v. To be safe I would use a 12v power supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back