LED driver requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m having trouble choosing a compatible LED driver to power this LED strip.
6E4AF1BD-15C6-426A-BAC0-4CC2D52362D5.jpeg

Originally I used this driver, the LEDs were very bright but the strip became very hot and burnt out the LEDs very quickly. The website stated this was 60w output, and the ratings all seem to match the LED strip.

A122E33B-1BF5-4824-A35F-6B142A2F2953.jpeg

Then I tried using this driver with a new LED strip, which is approx half the amp rating of the previous driver, but it was very dim, almost not lighting up at all.

94E705B5-179B-433D-B539-8E213907D816.jpeg

Can anyone suggest what rating of driver needs to be used?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Never got involved with constant current led lamps, but it says it needs at least 55V and I understand that a nominal 700mA is usual for these.

Sponsored Links
Where did you buy the strip, do you have more details for that.
Looks to me like a section cut off a longer section, the 55v reference was likely for the whole strip and you cannot just cut it shorter, it looks like a Constant current strip.
You may be better with a constant voltage strip, that can be cut and you can get 12 or 24 volt versions

Where did you buy the strip, do you have more details for that.
Looks to me like a section cut off a longer section, the 55v reference was likely for the whole strip and you cannot just cut it shorter, it looks like a Constant current strip.
You may be better with a constant voltage strip, that can be cut and you can get 12 or 24 volt versions

Here is the product from RS.
https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/led-linear-arrays/9033018/

That fixing provides no effective heat sinking at all.....

Each of the five LED modules is creating 10 watts of heat and this heat has to removed by an effective heat sink.

The holes in the PCB are there to enable the PCB to be mounted to a heatsink that can disipate the 50 watts of heat to prevent the LED modules from over heating.

At the very least all the holes marked red should have a screw to the heat sink and preferable also those marked in green.

0x33.jpg

The other holes in the PCB are thermal paths to take the heat from the top side of the PCB though to the under side and thus to the heat sink.

The heat sink will probably need to be something like this https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/heatsinks/9033166/

0x34.jpg

That is intended for use by lighting manufacturers to be part of a larger product, which would be designed specifically for that particular LED strip and have thermal characteristics suitable for the LEDs, and a fully enclosed design to avoid people or objects touching the LEDs, driver or wiring.

Whatever you are intending to do, this is totally the wrong thing to be using.

Where was that connector block before? I can't see any enclosures within the distance the cables would reach....

It was connecting the incoming supply cable to the driver.... the wire is out because I disconnected it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back