LED driver question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a question around wiring an LED driver.

I have some LED strip lights which I would like to use in a bedroom for some nice diffused lighting.

The drivers here are the ones i plan to use
https://www.led-lighthouse.co.uk/le...-well-100-watt-led-driver-24v-ip67-lpv-100-24

I would normally expect this type of driver to be wired to a fused spur.

In the bedroom I dont want to have a fused spur; is there any way to wire these to a normal plug to use in a plug socket?

Thanks
Stu

Sponsored Links
I'm sure it will work fine if you just fit a regular plug to it.

The only issue is that it appears to have unsheathed wires. I think that to be compliant it would need to be fitted inside an enclosure, and those wires connected to a sheathed flex, with strain relief of some sort.

Where exactly do you intend to put it?

(Similar drivers that do have sheathed mains wires are available.)

Sponsored Links
It is not a driver it is a 24 volt power supply the voltage is fixed not the current. With a driver it will give something like 320 mA 0 ~ 40 volt the amps is fixed not the volts.

You may require a 24 volt power supply, many manufacturers seem to label power supplies as drivers when they are not, so you have to be careful. Often the driver is built into the bulb and you do need a power supply, but be wary and read the spec.

In the bedroom I dont want to have a fused spur; is there any way to wire these to a normal plug to use in a plug socket?
How on earth can permanently installed lighting in any way be better plugged in than connected via an FCU?

( courtery of Google translate Chinese to English )

This page can not be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed , it may be its name has been changed , or is temporarily unavailable.

Try the following actions:

Make sure the spelling and format in the browser's address bar displays the correct Web site address .
If you press the link to reach this page , please contact the system administrator to inform them that this link is malformed.
Click the [ Previous ] button to try another link.

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found .
Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information ( for technical support personnel )

Move Microsoft Product Support Services , and the words HTTP and 404 relating to the search.
Open [IIS Help] ( You can choose from " IIS Administrator (inetmgr) " access) , and search the name to " set the platform ", " general system management " and " About Custom Error Messages " topic.

The HTTP 404 was a give away to what it said. But 100W on LED's at 24 volt = 4.16A that's rather high for LED's normally around the 320 mA personally I would not want to run 12 parallel circuits as if one blows it could overload the rest and it would seem it is voltage regulated anyway not current regulated. At typical 320 mA and typical 3 volt for white LED that's around 100 LED's that seems some what over kill.

If it were 12 volt regulated then likely designed for replacements for quartz halogen spot lights but at 24 volt I question what it will power. I do hate mislabelling be it calling 12 volt "low voltage" or power supplies "drivers" it seems however common with the lighting industry.

I'm sure it will work fine if you just fit a regular plug to it.

The only issue is that it appears to have unsheathed wires. I think that to be compliant it would need to be fitted inside an enclosure, and those wires connected to a sheathed flex, with strain relief of some sort.

Where exactly do you intend to put it?

The light strip itself will be attached to the back of a tall chest of drawers, so i would attach the driver to the bottom of the back of the chest of drawers

(Similar drivers that do have sheathed mains wires are available.)

Really? Can you give more details please; these LED strips need to be soldered on to the drivers as well so would need to be something that allows me to do that

How on earth can permanently installed lighting in any way be better plugged in than connected via an FCU?

Thats a different question and I never said it was better.

The lights will be fixed to a piece of furniture which will move on occasion for decorating and such likes. therefore it would be easier to have something that plugs in.

It is not a driver it is a 24 volt power supply the voltage is fixed not the current. With a driver it will give something like 320 mA 0 ~ 40 volt the amps is fixed not the volts.

You may require a 24 volt power supply, many manufacturers seem to label power supplies as drivers when they are not, so you have to be careful. Often the driver is built into the bulb and you do need a power supply, but be wary and read the spec.

I already have the same LED strip installed in the kitchen with these drivers ; the drivers and strips etc were all supplied from the same company (LED lighthouse) and they all work fine :)

The lights will be fixed to a piece of furniture which will move on occasion for decorating and such likes. therefore it would be easier to have something that plugs in.
Ah - OK - fair enough.

It was the way you said "In the bedroom I dont want to have a fused spur" as if it were some kind of aesthetic objection....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back