How best to install a LED driver under a shelf?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install some LED strip under one of the shelves in my workshop. For now, at least, it'll be plugged into a wall socket rather than hard wired. The driver will be mounted to the underside of the shelf along with the LED strip.

I've bought a suitable constant voltage driver (one of these) and I already have the LED strip. Wiring it up is not the issue. What I would like to know is what's the best way to make it tidy and safe? The problem as I see it is the mains cable (in particular) has no outer sheath and both ends will need strain relief.

My current thought is to get a small (plastic) project box and fit an IEC C14 socket for connection to the mains and one or more barrel connectors for connection to the LED strip. I've done this with other projects I've made and it works great. I can't help feeling this is an already solved problem though and there's probably something I could just buy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I did some more research after posting and that was the conclusion I'd come to as well. Time to buy another driver. I've since found kits available at B&Q and IKEA that are essentially what you described.

Would my idea of putting it in a custom enclosure be an acceptable solution, though? Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
They make what looks like the same body but with flex out of each end, so i see no reason why not to butt up a plastic box at each end to encase the single insulated wires as you propose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back