Led Driver selection HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
You may find a mismatch between the effective 12V DC put out by the supply and what the lights expect.

I suggest you buy everything from one supplier, and ask them to tell you which power supply/ies will be OK with all of the lights. Or alternatively buy LED strip + power supply as a pair from supplier A and the mini-plinth lights +power supply as another pair from supplier B.

And if anybody pops up here bleating on about what is, or is not a driver, ignore them completely - they do not have your interests at heart.

Last edited:
Thanks. ban-all-sheds

I was hoping for more of a yes no answer, rather than an alternative solution but thanks for taking the time to respond.
I'll think it over.

Yeah I know there is much debate over the driver / transformer / power supply nomenclature ;)

The answer you want is yes.

6 x 50mA + 680 mA is less than 1 amp so a 1.25 A supply is OK. In fact virtually any second hand 12 switch mode 12V supply from a redundant set top box will do.

Sponsored Links
As Winston says, pretty much any 12v power supply/driver over an amp will be fine. These LEDs are very forgiving. One with a higher power rating will actually be slightly better so go for the 18w

Thanks all for your help.
I've gone with the 18w as the 15w one I had previously ordered had either the output labels or the cables reversed (couldn't tell which).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back