Kitchen downlights

Sponsored Links
Have you already got little torches recessed into your kitchen ceiling?

If so, wouldn't replacement time be a good time to change to a type of lighting which is actually designed to do the job of lighting up rooms?

Have you already got little torches recessed into your kitchen ceiling?

If so, wouldn't replacement time be a good time to change to a type of lighting which is actually designed to do the job of lighting up rooms?
Well i find my rooms more lit these days than ever before, i guess it depends on what bulbs you use and how many.

Well i find my rooms more lit these days than ever before, i guess it depends on what bulbs you use and how many.
Precisely.

If those lights were any good at doing the job of actually lighting up rooms you wouldn't need such large numbers of them arrayed across the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Matter of taste and what you prefer, I like downlights, you obviously don't

You could.

Or you could stop being so deliberately )£*%&%*(#@ - it's up to you.

Well I had TWELVE little torches in my new kitchen (we've just moved) and the light is CRAP - lots of light, but not where it's needed. I've replaced one of them so far with a "proper" light and the difference is amazing. I'll be replacing two more with "proper" lights and taking the lamps out of the rest - half the power, immeasurably better lighting.

I guess it depends on what you want to achieve. I want feature "proper" lights on my Island therefore want downlights to be non feature and blend into ceiling giving light but not taking away what i want from my feature lighting. Downlights can be pointed where you want them or these days get the wider angle lights to spread the light rather than have them focused on the floor

My son fitted down lights in his very small kitchen 7W LED x 5, I had to use a torch to read the pressure on his boiler, I have 10 x 3W bulbs in a living room which must be at least 4 times the area of his kitchen and no problem seeing what you are doing. The problem is the area of light emitting bit, put a 6 inch pearl defuse glass under the spot light and then they work, or use more of them, at 2" anything over 3W is wasted so my kitchen as a fluorescent fitting with a 28W LED tube which gives out 2800 lumen, a typical 3W GU10 is 250 lumen so you need 10 to 12 to give same output, that is a lot of work installing 10 light fittings, it may look better than the LED tube, but even the LED tube is well down from the original 65W tube, the new 58W tube with a HF ballast gives around 5200 lumen if you want to match that it's 20 little spot lights, maybe you could arrange them to emulate the great bear or some other as shown with a planetarium, it would be novel and quite a talking point.

You have to remember size matters.

Can't say i have ever had that issue with light from downlights, the last house i changed all the daylight bulbs for warm white as the kitchen was far to light. Personally i would not fit a fitting where the led bulb was not replaceable as the 40000 hour stuff is just nonsense. My wife can change a bulb, but a fitting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back