Installing downlights and shower extractor???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im changing the lighting in my bathroom and wanted to replace the standard light in the middle of the ceiling with low voltage downlights- 3 in total! ...And install an extractor fan with a timer and downlight built in over the shower enclosure and was wondering whether or not I can do this using the existing light connections, if I can... How??? :confused:

Sponsored Links
The normal way would be to place one of the downlights as near as possible to the existing ceiling rose. This way you can junction all of the cables (using an Ashley downlight j.b.) and can access this j.b through the hole. Then you daisy chain from one light to the next - inluding the light in the shower fan.

Then you need to connect the fan itself. Where are you positioning the in-line fan? It will need to be accessible. If the ceiling rose has the loop in connections, you can take live, switched live, neutral and earth from the same Ashley j.b. and run 3 core+earth cable to a FAN ISOLATOR. This can be in the wall outside, or next to the fan if it's much easier. Then connect the fan to the isolator.

Dont forget this is notifiable work. So, either notify your LABC before work starts or use a registered spark.

You'll need to be RCD protecting the bathroom circuit(s) too.

How big is this bathroom. Unless it's very small, 4 downlights might not do a very good job actually lighting the place!

Liam

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back