bathroom downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive a artexed ceiling with pendulum light.
Im fitting shower ect and going tp fit a extractor fan.

Should I use one integrated with a light or independently of each other

Im also going to install a pvc ceiling ontop of the Artexed one and install led downlights.

The room is 8x6, and thinking of using 6 downlights (inc shower ip65)
Whats the brightest cool white leds you can get. Ones I have saw have bn like a torch very dull

And am I better with 240 or 12v
os they're much difference in light output.

Any advice appreciate

Sponsored Links
I have 12v and 230v versions in my home and I can't tell the difference between them with regard to light output. The move seems to be towards 230v versions now, probably because they don't require a transformer.

The deciding factor will be that the light fittings you choose will need to be specified as being suitable for installation in the 'zone' that they are installed.

My bathroom is the same size as yours and I have 4, warm white, non dimmable versions of these installed and they are very bright. (For me possibly a bit too bright) Far brighter that the two 60w incandescent lamps that were there before. LED technology has moved on in leaps and bounds recently, and is very good now, but some of the early LED under cabinet kits were a bit torch like.

Regarding the combined extractor / light some of these specify that the light should not be operated without the fan running. I think this probably is because hot running halogen lamps could be fitted and these need to be cooled by the fan.

If you don't need the lights on in the bathroom during the daytime, then I would select an extractor that can be operated on its own without the lights.

Thanks for the replay. What lights have u got . I suppose with tge fan I can site tgat to side of shower cubicle and light in middle . The one candalesen light I got was a energy saving one crap lol

Regarding the combined extractor / light some of these specify that the light should not be operated without the fan running. I think this probably is because hot running halogen lamps could be fitted and these need to be cooled by the fan
I have removed the remains of such a fan where the duct become obstructed and without enough air flow the lamp and its holder over heated.

Sponsored Links
Ahh sp maby separates the way to go . Put exyractor im corner and light in middle. And run the fan of the lighting circuit. Via a fused spur and double pole switch (or a rcd)

What lights have u gotl
They're called Pyramid lights. You can see why. ;) They are on a chrome base with a neoprene gasket. A company called Astro make them. Eight years ago, I installed some in the kitchen (12V) and last year in the bathroom (230V)

They look good. Saw them on Amazon but out of stock.
And cause it's plastic celing panels im installing . They have to b led

I saw a led extraction fan
It's a hib turbo chrome 3 wat led fanlight

I was intending to change my bathroom light (simple dome type) to LED down lights. Prior to hacking the ceiling about I tried an LED 6watt cool white "bulb". (An exact replacement for the bog standard 60 watt bulb). I was amazed at the output from the LED, I would estimate at least 1.5 times that of the 60 watt incandescent.

I was intending to change my bathroom light (simple dome type) to LED down lights. Prior to hacking the ceiling about I tried an LED 6watt cool white "bulb". (An exact replacement for the bog standard 60 watt bulb). I was amazed at the output from the LED, I would estimate at least 1.5 times that of the 60 watt incandescent.

Cool that's what I want a gpod light coverage .

So a 6 watt led . What's the amperage of that . I've a 6 amp fuse on the board. Im currently running 2 striplights in kitchen. 6 60 watt energy jobbies. So I should get aqay with the showee fan/light (40 watts) and the 4 or 5 les downlights

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back