1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Bathroom - replace single light with 3 downlights part p?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by LiGhTfasT, 4 Oct 2014.

1. LiGhTfasT

LiGhTfasT

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm planning on replacing an old wood tongue and groove ceiling in the bathroom with a pvc t&g ceiling.

I want to replace the single light (rose style) with 3 downlights in a pack made by "Philips MyBathroom" replacing the bulbs with led gu10s

I plan to put the existing rose into a JB and then wire to the spots in parallel with 1.5mm t+e.

Do i need to get someone in to comply with partp, looking online i found this pdf but nothing is mentioned about the ceiling? http://www.niceic.com/Uploads/File8952.pdf

Thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It does though.

It says

A special location means:
    A) A room containing a bath or shower, the space surrounding a bath tap or shower head where the space extends vertically from the finished floor level to a height of 2.25M or the position of the shower head where it is attached to a wall or ceiling at a height higher than 2.25 metres from that level or horizontally where there is a bath tub or shower tray, from the edge of the
    bath tub or shower tray to a distance of 0.6 metres. Or where there is no bath tub or shower tray from the centre point of the shower head where it is attached to the wall or ceiling to a distance of 1.2 metres.

Basically,the lights are inside the special location, and require notification, if the ceiling is 2.25metres high or less. How high is your ceiling?

Footnote: "Part P" basically says that all electrical work must be safe. So all electrical work, anywhere, must comply with Part P.
    See http://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:part_p:Statutory-Instrument.
    Certain work, has to be notified.

4. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Possibly. it depends on your competence.

Part P applies to any work whatsoever on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage and are—
    (a) in or attached to a dwelling;
    (b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
    (c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
    (d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

5. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    ... and if they are also less than 600mm horizontally from a bath/shower, etc. (as per your quote)

Kind Regards, John

6. LiGhTfasT

LiGhTfasT

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ceiling is 2.22m so to save hassle I think I'll just get a newer better looking single light. Darn.

7. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ahh well, probably a better plan, if you want to be able to see what you are doing.

Before you select a light, determine which zone it will be in and please read the info on bathroom zones at http://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:bathroom_zones

especially this bit
    Zone 2
    Equipment to be IPX4 minimum, IPX5 if water jets are used for cleaning.

8. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Indeed - and, in case the OP has any lights above a bath or shower, it's worth pointing out that exactly the same requirements relate to luminaires in Zone 1.

Kind Regards, John

9. Bluehair

Bluehair

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can you clarify that for me please? Are you saying that if the OP's ceiling is 3m high then a light on the ceiling directly above the bath needs to be rated IPX4?

10. Sponsored Links
  11. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No. If the OP's ceiling were 3m high then none of it (even over bath/shower) would be in any of the zones, and hence there would be no restrictions/ requirements (other than that the light fitting should be 'suitable for the environment').

However, the OP's ceiling is actually only 2.22m, hence the bit above the bath/shower would be (just!) in Zone 1, and therefore the light would have to be at least IPX4 (and similarly for bits of ceiling within 600mm horizontally of bath/shower, which, in the OP's case, would be in Zone 2).

Kind Regards, John

12. Bluehair

Bluehair

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ta, it was the "in case the OP has any lights above a bath or shower, it's worth pointing out that exactly the same requirements relate to luminaires in Zone 1." bit that confused me :oops:

Cheers.

13. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You're welcome. It's not really confusing if you consider my comment in context - as you correctly quote, I was talking about the OP's lights, and he had told us that his ceiling was only 2.22m from floor.

Kind Regards, John

14. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I only put the extract re the IP rating from the full link re bathroom zones. I was tring to keep clear of copying and pasting the whole thing when its there to be read.

I was hoping that the OP would read the full document and understand that there are additional restrictions in Zone1 (voltage etc) that must be complied with.

15. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Fair enough - maybe I was making it too easy for the OP :)
    My understanding of the regs is that there are no additional restrictions for a luminaire in Zone 1 - and that was the point I was making. 701.55(xi) appears to allow a 230V luminaire provided that it is at least IPX4 (per 701.512.2) and provided that it is "suitable for installation in zone 1" (710.55).

Kind Regards, John

16. AdamCH

AdamCH

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's only replacing lights and unless building control are involved I can't imagine that anyone is ever going to check.

2.2m seems quite low for a ceiling. I thought they all tended to be 2.4m and above.

17. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That is, of course, true - but all we can/should do is make the OP aware of the rules. It's then up to him/her.
    It is very low - I can just about reach a 2.2m ceiling, and I'm fairly short. My son-in-law could easily reach a 2.4m one! I wonder if the OP did measure from floor level (rather than, perhaps, from the bottom of the bath tub)? Rules about notification aside, if it were above the bath/shower, I think I'd probably prefer it to be IP4X (as if it were in Zone 1), whether it was just above or just below 2.25m.

Kind Regards, John
    Edit: quote attribution corrected!