LED Lighting Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an odd problem with Led lighting and would appreciate if anyone had a theory on what i am doing wrong (nearly said can someone shed any light on this!).

I have 6 off 12v MR16 7W LED lights wired in a pelmet with a maximum cable run of approximately 6 feet using 1.0mm T+E. The transformer is a 1-10v dimmable led driver rated
at 12v 5 amps i.e 60W.

When i switch the transformer on only 3 bulbs light.

If i remove a single light bulb (any one) all 5 light and it works fine.

When initially powered up the current draw with all lights is 5.14 amps (too much)
If i remove one lamp 5 light up at the expected 3.14 amps and if i then reconnect the 6th lamp
they all work and the current increases to the expected 3.8 amps. However as soon as i switch
the transformer of either by shorting the 1-10v input or at the mains then the problem returns and its again drawing over 5 amps.
Any info appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You might get a quicker response posting the UK Electrics forum here //www.diynot.com/diy/forums/electrics/

This is the Audio Visual forum, that means we focus more here on tellies, Sky boxes, home cinema and that sort of thing.

Moderators note
the thread has been moved. If you use the "report" link below you can alert us and request a move

May be right as i was in two minds about where to post but electrics seemed to deal
more with mains voltage items/issues however will give it a try if no luck.

Sponsored Links
The switch on surge is causing the LED driver (it is not a transformer) to shut down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back