Changing MR16 bathroom lights to LED (from halogen)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking some advice please. I currently have 6 halogen MR16 12v lights in the bathroom. They are powered by a transformer individually at each light (this is what was recommended to us a couple of years ago when the previous one transformer failed, that was powering the whole circuit)

Question is, when looking at these LED bulbs they mention that the transformer might need changing... Is this true? Or are they just saying that some sort of transformer is needed, as opposed to running them at 240v

So my question, is a 12v LED transformer any different to a 12v transformer for halogen lighting?

I can take a pic of the current transformers if necessary, it just means I need to go into the loft so avoided it for now

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Most of those "transformers" (as you already have) need to have an operating current of at least 20watts for them to work properly or at all.
Your individual lamps are probably nowhere near 20watts so the existing units are not suitable.

It may be possible to connect all of the new LEDs to just one transformer - but that takes you back to where you were - with a single failure point.

You could change the existing transformers for LED DRIVERS that are made to work with the LED lamps.

Alternatively, get 230v LED lamps/fittings and do away with the transformer/drivers all together.

Okay thank you

I will have a think about what to do then and do some research on which LED drivers may be suitable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back