LED power supply

Sponsored Links
Those LED strips will work from a DC constant voltage supply, the resistor determines how much current will flow through the 3 LED elements.

Do NOT use a constant current LED "Driver" which will force excessive current through the diodes.

LED strip.jpg

Although rated at 12 volts these strips will still be bright when supplied from a 9 volt supply. The reduced current will extent the life of the strips

Just make sure the power supply you use is regulated. Some can go to above 16 volts on low load.

You ask a good question, in your case 12 volt or less no problem, however I bought a set from Lidi, and with the kit was a link so you can add a second set, but the power supply is only good enough to power one set.

I bought two sets, and they are far brighter than I expected. Had I read the box 22 watt does give one a clue, lucky mine are dim-able.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies. Is there some symbol on the power supply that states if it's a regulated/constant voltage and not supplying a constant current?

Best way is to measure the output voltage on no load. If it is not 12 v within half a volt or so don’t use it.

Constant voltage will likely have just 12Vdc on it whereas constant current tend to have two voltages like 18v-48v for example, as the voltage adjusts to keep the current constant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back