LED PROBLEMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just fitten 3x leds to new o/head light fitting that usually has e9 halogens. When fitting is switched OFF, the leds glow faintly and when switched ON all three glow normally; when I fit one halogen and 2 leds to fitting they all work fine but halogen is different colour. Anyone have bright idea to fix, other than three e9 halogens.

Sponsored Links
The capacitively coupled power from Live to Switched Live in the cable to the switch is enough to "glow" an LED lamp when the switch is OFF.

A capacitor in series with a resistor across the supply to the LED will in almost all cases solve the problem. The capacitor absorbs the capacitively coupled power without the voltage being high enough to affect the LED.

0.1 microfarad 400 volt capacitor polyester and 100 ohm 1 watt resistor have proved sucessful.

400 volt as it has to cope with the approx 320 volt peaks of 230 v AC It cannot be an electrolytic or polarised capacitor.

Contact suppressors such as the ones below provide the necessary circuit in a single convenient package. The use across LED lamps is not their intended purpose but they do provide the function required.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rc-network-capacitors/0209241/
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/contact-suppressor-rg22y
This has a 0.1uF capacitor which is a bit of an over kill but better too large than too small.

There are other suppliers.

E9 or G9?

I'm guessing that it's a 230V light, not 12V?

If it's on a 2-way switch, or any form of electronic one, that faint glow is to be expected, as is its disappearance when one halogen bulb is put in. Search here for posts talking about glowing or flickering LED or CFL or energy saving lights.

There is a cure, and someone here knows of a suitable item without having to go and look it up (unlike me) so hopefully he'll be along.

There is absolutely nothing you can do about the different colour of halogen and LED bulbs.

Even better - the info on the item to buy turns up before I've finished typing.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to you both, yes it is 230v and I am off to Maplins to sort this. Again many thanks, my first time on this forum and the v prompt replies are appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back