LED specific fitting type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning on fitting GU5.3 or GU10 downlighters with a view to fitting LEDs later into those fitting.

Obviously with that arrangement anyone could switch back to halogen afterwards.

Having read some of the negative opinions on downlighters as being fire traps, I'm wondering if there's an upcoming fitting designed just for LEDs.

I've looked, but most dedicated LEDs look to be sealed. I know they have a very long life but I'd like the chance to change the kind of light, or brightness, without offering retrofit to halogen.

Is anyone trying to produce an LED only fitting type? If so, what is it called?

Sponsored Links
I doubt you'll see an "LED Only" fitting as it would have a very small market and be inferior to an LED unit (as a complete fitting_.

While many people say LEDs don't create heat - they do, just a lot less than incandescents. They are also more sensitive to heat and the LED chips (and other components) must run a lot cooler than most incandescent downlighters run at.
A complete unit can have a thermal design optimised for the job - if you get chance to look at one, you'll see than an LED downlighter such as the Halers H2 (the only ones I've first hand experience with) are more or less a big heatsink with some LEDs on one end.

Once you start trying to make an LED alternative for (say) a GU10 lamp, then the thermal design will suffer as you have so much less space for the heatsink. Consider the difference in are available on a GU10 bulb, and on the entire fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back