Dimmable LED GU10 Downlights?

Those are good. But too long.

These are better & even cheaper at N&E too.

You can't really quantify 'too long' because without knowing what fitting they're going in, they might be perfectly fine.

And as for the ones from GE being 'better', the GE only has a 35D beam angle, where as the Philips has a 40D, and the GE is rated at 25,000hrs yet the Philips is rated at 40,000hrs, which is a pretty significant difference.

The Philips lamp also outputs 430lm where as the GE is only 320lm

I can't really class it as better, the other specs are similar, wattage, colour temperature etc

For a couple of quid, the Philips wins it hands down for me, and there's plenty of LED GU10's in the Philips range that are dimmable, this is just the first one I came across, many of them fit the standard envelope of a traditional GU10 halogen

Sponsored Links
You can't really quantify 'too long' because without knowing what fitting they're going in, they might be perfectly fine.

Possibly too long for a standard fitting, but may fit one of the fittings that are made to take the longer CFL GU10s?

Are we talking of around the £20 mark each?

I would agree it could be 'too long' for a spot bar, or perhaps some fire rated recessed fittings, but I see no problem with it in almost all non-fire rated (open air) fittings and some fire rated down lights.

Considering these LED's are for fittings yet to be purchased, the length would just be something to consider when buying the fitting anyway

I would also be wary of installing LED GU10's in a fire rated fitting, as, by the nature they dispell heat from their rear, so a lot of that will be retained by the fitting, where as a free air fitting gives them more room to get rid of their heat.

And yea, around £20 for a decent, dimmable LED GU10

I would agree it could be 'too long' for a spot bar, or perhaps some fire rated recessed fittings, but I see no problem with it in almost all non-fire rated (open air) fittings and some fire rated down lights.

Good point, open ones ought to be fine.

And yea, around £20 for a decent, dimmable LED GU10

I saw some in N&E from JCC, LED7s, about £35 though for the dimmables. Were quite impressed, but it'll take years to get the money back in energy savings, so every so often, replacing a popped one with a £20 lamp is probably the way forward for now.

Sponsored Links
Totally agree.

I view anything less £wise as a false economy, admittedly I'm using some Philips MyAmbience currently that cost me about £7 each, but they're 35W equivalent and non-dimmable, so seems a fair price.

Will probably change for them dimmable ones in the near future, and will probably buy Philips again

IMO, if you are planning LED from the outset, then purchase an LED fitting. Because the manufacturer has the whole envelope of the fitting to work with, they have much more scope for getting the thermal design right - a GU10 LED "bulb" is always going to be constrained by the need to fit in the small space available.

I suppose there's the counter argument that it's easier to change a GU10 unit if it fails - but if it's a decent fitting then you shouldn't need to change it.

While no fan of downlighters (I'm with BAS on that), my mate has fitted Halers H2 units in his bathroom (4) and living room (15). Considering they are downlighters, actually not bad at all. And dimmable (he's using Varilight dimmers) if you select the right model.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back