12v or 240v halogen downlighters, which are best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are people's opinions on halogen downlighters? Should 240v GU10 type ones be installed, as they can be dimmed and replaced with energy saving bulbs, or do the 12v ones provide a better light?

Sponsored Links
12V can also be dimmed and give a crisper light,Try a search as this has been covered many times before :)

BigJon said:
12V can also be dimmed and give a crisper light :)
So can flourescent energy savers. In fact energy saving downlighters give a far nicer light than any sort of downlighter, the only bad thing about them is they cant be dimmed. :(

Can I get any other bulb for 12v i.e. LED or Energy Saving?

Should I be using individual transformers for each light, or a larger one to cover several of them?

Sponsored Links
L.E.D. ones are still quite pricey ive found :( Possibly better with an individual transformer for each light ( theyre very reasonable to buy ), then should a fault occur only 1 light will be affected and you wont be left totally in the dark ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back