United Kingdom
Hi all
About a year ago I replaced halogen lights downstairs as follows:
Living room Ceiling (Fitting 1) = 5 x Gu9 Halogens replaced with 5 x Gu9 LED's
Dining room Ceiling (Fitting 2) = 5 x Gu9 Halogens replaced with 5 x Gu9 LED's
Hallway ceiling (Fitting 3) = 3 x GU10 halogens replaced with 3 x GU10 LED's
Downstairs WC (Fitting 4) = 1 x halogen B22 replaced with B22 LED
Kitchen (Fitting 5) = 3 x E14 halogen replaced with 3 x E14 LED's

This all worked perfectly for about a year. Then suddenly it started not working as expected, upon flicking the switch for any room apart from the kitchen all lights would go off and would not work again for about 30 mins.

Having swapped out all bulbs in various combinations i've proven that having just 1 LED bulb in any fitting apart from the kitchen causes this issue. If I revert back to all halogen bulbs the lights work perfectly well and you wouldn't know there was a problem.

I bought some quite expensive Phillips GU10 LED's to rule out my other LED bulbs being poor quality and the problem remains with just one LED in the system.

I swapped the breaker in the consumer unit the with upstairs breaker and the problem stayed downstairs so it's not the breaker.

Measured the voltage across an outlet, 100V when in the failed state, 240V when normal and working.

Weird how the kitchen and all other rooms in the house are working perfectly well with the same source of bulbs.

Any idea's gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Loose connection between consumer unit and the first lights on the circuit.
Changing to LEDs unrelated, although the problem will be worse with LEDs as the current used is significantly less.

Changing to LEDs unrelated, although the problem will be worse with LEDs as the current used is significantly less.

Ok, i'll check out the switches and fittings this weekend - thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
3DDDF09D-E190-403B-91F2-F8D5E58024EA.png

Your diagnosis was spot on! Some muppet had connected the live feed cables together in a connector block underneath my bathroom floor - had to rip it all up and cause chaos but found the fault. Leds all re-fitted and working perfectly well.

Appreciate the time you took to reply many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back