GU 5.3 to GU10 LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a room which currently has 6 x down lighters with GU 5.3 halogen bulbs. I would like to change them to GU10 LED lights, as LED bulbs dont work in these fittings (they flicker). Can anyone please recommend what I would need to do this?

Sponsored Links
Remove the existing light fittings along with their transformers.
Obtain new GU10 lights and connect them to the 230V wiring that previously connected to the input of the transformers.

Some people replace the lampholders, but the problem with doing that is if a fitting is designed for SELV and you convert it to mains then it becomes entirely your responsibility to ensure it is safe for mains.

If you want to move to LED but keep your existing fittings then IMO the most sensible thing to do is to keep the fittings as SELV but replace the "transformer" with one suitable for the LED bulbs you are using.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back