240v LED bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I have 2 x GU10 Halogen bulbs on my landing (one at each end). I purchased 2 x GU10 LED bulbs to replace them. The problem is, if I put both LED bulbs in, I can't turn them off. However, with one halogen and one LED bulb in, the light switch functions correctly.

Any ideas please ?

Sponsored Links
Maybe to do with voltage building up in the wire and then being discharged, our hall light did it with a cfl before we were rewire (it is noticable due to the low power consumption). Perhaps this is what is happening to you, except the LED stays on due to it using very little power (in comparison to incandescent and cfl) and allowing enough to keep the led's on?

An expert will be along soon :LOL: :)

When you say "they stay on" are they very dim?

If so, then it is capacitive effects, caused by 2-way switching - long runs of wires side by side leak electrons to each other, the longer the wire, the bigger the effect. Between the 2 switches controlling the landing lights, is the place this becomes most apparent.

When you put a halogen in the circuit, the electrons have an easier path to neutral, through its filament, so the LEDs (through which the electrons would have to pass a semiconductor) stay dead.

With energy saving lamps (the usual type), they exhibit this capacitive effect by flickering gently every few seconds.

IMO its nothing to worry about, but it does worry some people. LEDs use so little power anyway.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Missus not happy leaving them on, regardless of how much power they use. So back to Halogens :rolleyes:

Cheers !

Sponsored Links
you can leave leds burning for several days for the same power that a halogen will use in a few hours

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back