LED downlight question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 20 x 230w GU10s (no transformers) which were going to go into a flat roof, they are not fire rated so that idea got binned.
If i replace these halogen bulbs with LED GU10 bulbs does that make them fire proof? I'm guessing not?

So im looking for well priced LED downlights which put out as much lumins as halogens..

Any recommendations? im going to need around 15 (kitchen/diner)

Sponsored Links
You do not really mean 230WATTS? Do you??

Fire proof fittings are not required.

But you cannot put downlights into an insulated flat roof structure unless it has been specificaly constructed as a warm roof. Otherwise you'll be hacking great holes in the thermal insulation, you'll get cold spots, damp air will be drawn into the roof area which will condense and rot the roof timbers.

If this is a new construction then building control will fry your backside.

FFS. Downlights are not the way to do this.. You should be looking at a different lighting solution.

Its a previously build, cold roof.
The insulation is in between joists and vented above.

Agreed its not ideal to cut holes, but that's the only option, apart from dropping ceiling height which there is no funds for.

So looking for downlights for the situation.
Surely fire rated will be needed due to the insulation.

You cannot fit downlights where you propose. TTC explained why.
Your only other options are surface mounted ceiling lights, such as a track system or wall lights.

Sponsored Links
I have just bought some 2 watt LED GU10 lamps from G&M Bargains at less than £10 for three and I noted the fins on the lamp so tested how warm as where the lamp can be touched and although warm they are not hot. However the beam of light is quite narrow OK for my bedroom reading lights but in a ceiling they would not give the spread required.

I also noted there were no holes in the bulbs to allow fitting in a L2 fitting so if you use L2 fittings it would seem you can't use all LED lamps. The L2 fitting will only take LED lamps but the LED lamps will fit both GU10 and L2 holders in theory but it would seem in practice there is a problem with the idea as you have to buy more expensive lamps. The same happened with the triple bayonet which was designed so you could only use energy saving bulbs but one has to pay well over the odds for the bulbs.

The whole idea of using spot lights for general lighting is flawed. The lamps need to shine on white surfaces to reflect the light and in the main we tend not to use white floor tiles or even just light colour tiles.

The florescent lamp has for many years been the main way to light a kitchen. There is however no need to use straight tubes there are folded tubes which do look better when hidden behind a translucent cover. Try looking at 2D lamps and think about if these would do a better job for general lighting? Using GU10 lamps to send a spot of light onto the work area from the ceiling works well but these clearly need to be directed at the work surface not pointing at the floor and you still need one or two 2D or similar for general lighting.

With florescent lamps the electronic HF type (uses same tube) will not flicker like the old type and will also start faster and work better with volt drop to me well worth the extra to get HF type. Also they use less power and run cooler.

So how about these?

http://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/shallow-low-energy-downlight-gx53.html
http://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/downlights/gx53-shallow-downlights-low-energy.html

Megaman-Planex-White.jpg

What do you mean by flat roof - a roof that is flat or a ceiling that is a fire barrier between flats?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back