low energy GU10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've refitted my office and put in a 4 way light with 4 x 10w GU10 halogen bulbs. As I work nights and evenings, I have the light on a lot so would like to put in lower energy bulbs.
I see TLC have LED bulbs (but at £20 a throw).
Are the LEDs any good, or would I be better going with CFL ?
If the LEDs are ok, can I get them cheaper than £20 each ?

Sponsored Links
think of it as an investment..
LED's last much longer than the CFL's so you'll only replace it every 10 years or so as opposed to every 2-3 for CFL's..

I'd really like somebody to try those 5W LED badboys from TLC before I shell out the cash ;) . They quote 45W equivalent so ought to be a good replacement for a halogen.

You can get cheaper LED GU10s, but normally becasue they are lower rated so wont provide the light output. That said there are cheap-ish (work out about a fiver each if I remember correctly) LED GU10s on ebay that claim to also pack 4-5W by being literally crammed with 60-odd conventional looking LEDs. I wonder how these compare to the TLC lamps?

Go on - do some experimentation and report back here. For the good of the community and all that.

Liam

Sponsored Links
Oh just read properly and now I know what Taylor is on about! Yeah - if you really have 10W GU10s, then they must be energy saving bulbs (CFLs - not LEDs though) already - not halogens.

That said there are cheap-ish (work out about a fiver each if I remember correctly) LED GU10s on ebay that claim to also pack 4-5W by being literally crammed with 60-odd conventional looking LEDs. I wonder how these compare to the TLC lamps?
Rubbish.

CFLs are still the best alternative to halogen at the moment.

Sorry to jump in with this. I have been looking at LED GU10's for a while now and over the weekend ordered 3 different ones to test.

All quote to be equiv to 50W Halogen

Starting a £10, £23, and a £28

Will let you know results :)

LOL, I wish, but have two lights in the kitchen / diner each with 8 50W, living room and bedroom, have 3 50W.

So looking for something of an investment. :)

But want to test 1 of each 1st to compare :)

I have seen the GU10s with three large LEDs in them, and they seems pretty good - this was in Flares (the 70's bar) though, where evrythings painted black, so it was hard to tell :LOL:

Let us know.

A colleague received a sample 5W LED GU10 lamp for trial from a wholesaler.
It's now fitted in his basement toilet and throws out more than enough light. I was quite impressed to be honest. No cheap though, around £17 IIRC.
Will try and find out the manufacturer.

Yeah like that one, the bigger LEDs spread the light better apparently.

72 LEDs :eek: How they manage that???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back