GU10s Energy Saving Bulbs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just wondering what people recommend on replacing standard GU10 bulb with when getting energy saving bulbs?

Are the CFL types better than the LED ones? Currently we have 5 downlighters in the living room that have 35w halogens in them. And I'd like to save abit of money as they're on most of the evening as I can't stand lamps!

Or should i just stick with the 35w ones?

Cheers

Craig

Sponsored Links
Don't bother with GU10 CFLs.
Don't bother with cheap GU10 LEDs.
Look for LEDs that specify their lumen output. Unfortunately you won't get anything good for under £20 each, so saving money won't happen immediately.

If a certain forum member was here he'd tell you that you should replace your downlights with something completely different, as downlights are the work of satan or something.

I have just fitted some Diamond Opal2 LED GU10s (3x1W) and they are a very good replication of a 50W halogen.
They were about £14 each.

Sponsored Links
depends on which way the wind blows as to how bad sheddy's comments are towards downlights.

seems hes being quite mild today, maybe hes used up all the venom he has for today from having yet another go at Holmslaw? :cool:

Ive seen the latest offering on the counter of CEF, just from that quick gander, they seem quite good. IIRC the're about 5W and £11 each. (still a little steep for me and so far customers don't want them, too much upfront money, despite the savings over the life span)

I'd be inclined to wait until the Autumn, maybe when the clocks change again and see how much they cost then. If the're under £7-8 by then, they might be a more attractive option.

Surprised to see cheap led GU10's disparaged, I've got half a dozen and they're fine.

3 x 1 watt leds. The pattern is narrower than a traditional halogen, but christ, it's 3 watts and they don't run dangerously hot. Light LEVELS are fine, but the colour on mine are quite cold.

There's about a 1/4 second delay on power on before they light, but you get used to that soon enough.

Cost just under a fiver each from china. I know someone who's bought the £15 philips ones and he's very happy too, but has kept the receipt in case they don't hit the lifetime expectancies.

Perhaps my £20 minimum is on the high side. By cheap I mean the £1 jobs that use bog standard 4mm LEDs.

So whats wrong with downlighters then? I hate lamps cluttering up the place and am not a fan of wall lights.

And I actually quite like the light the downlighters give out.

They are designed for highlighting small areas, specific display items or features, and so on. They are designed to produce a small spot of light. They are designed to not spread their light out in all directions, i.e. they are designed to not be a source of uniform illumination.

Im a big fan of Kosnic 4W Warm White GU10 lamps, almost a direct replacement for halogen i recon.

£10 Each +VAT from Newey & Eyre

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back