Energy Saving 3LED GU10 bulbs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to buy some Energy Saving GU10 light bulbs.

I have seen some with half a dozen LEDs in, but have read reviews that these do not produce enough light. I'm looking for the best place to purchase some that have 2-3 LEDs in them but not sure where to buy from.

They can’t be a different size, as these are to go in outdoor up/down light fittings. Although they can be a bigger size for the ones I would like to replace in the kitchen.

Anyone know if these are any good?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LED-3W-GU10-S...yZ109067QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers
Adam

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
most folk alternate between halogen and the pishy led lights to try and half their energy loss, but give them a try bud, its the type of light they give off though thats lets them down

Cheers for the reply.

Do these really only consume 3watts instead of 50? If I used these in all of the gu10 fittings around the house, the electric bill should drop quite a bit lol.

Cheers
Adam

the first line of their ad is misleading though isnt it?

IIRC reflector lamps are unaffected by the changes, wish I could remember where I found it, but did find a table with the types/dates they were being phased out.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the reply.

Do these really only consume 3watts instead of 50? If I used these in all of the gu10 fittings around the house, the electric bill should drop quite a bit lol.

Cheers
Adam

3 watt LED GU10's offer about 35% of the light of a full fat GU10 50w. They will save you a big amount of ££, but the resulting new glasses due to eye strain / failure to see would offset that.

There are 6w LED's but they run to about £18-£20 each. Say they last 20k hours.

LED
20000 x 6w = 120kw @ 12p = £14.40 + £20 = £34.40 life time running + buy cost

GU10

20000 x 50w - 1000kw @ 12p = £120 + £8 (4 bulbs @ 5000 hrs each) £128 = £128 life tiem running + buy cost

On the surface it would seem cost sensible to buy 6w LED's BUT.......

1/ The light from 6w LED isn't as good as 50w GU10's
2/ LED's won't last 20k hours

From a eco view point LED's 'seem' to be of value, both making you feel good about doing your bit, and for long term energy saving, but the jury is still out on life span of LED's and comparable light levels when compared to a GU10 50w,

The half way house would be to deploy LED's to wasted light areas. If you have an array of 12 GU10's in a main recpt room, maybe 6 would / could be deemed as edge lighting and have no need for high lighting levels.
Those bulbs could be replaced for 3w LED's ?

Cheers for the detailed reply chri5!

I have decided to purchase 4 of the 3w LED GU10 bulbs, as these should be fine for replacing the 4 x 50w GU10 bulbs that are in the 2 up/down light fittings on the front of the house.

I still want to change the 6 in the kitchen though, so I will look into buying the 6w version of these, which will only be consuming 36w instead of 300w! If these are not bright enough, I will only replace afew selected bulbs. They are spaced quite close together though, and theres more than enough light with all having 50w halogens in.

Thanks again
Adam

depending on if they fit... could you not use the CFL GU10s? better light output, still saving a bundle...

http://www.ultraleds.com/

I replaced 20 50W GU10s with multiple LED 40W warm white equivalents (currently not listed on that site) in our house. Only drawback is son claims he has to turn radiatir up in winter as the bulbs dont heat the room any more

The LEDs are brighter, whiter than the Halogens they replaced and only slightly warm after hours of use. So far (1 year) non have blown, which is better than the halogens that were always popping

Halogens loose a lot of their brightness after a few months, Good quality LEDs dont

Mind you I did have to try about 5 different LED replacements before I found ones that were better than Halogens, but they do exist

Thanks for the reply mate, have you ever tried the ones I have linked to in my original post?

.I will look at the ones you have linked me to aswel.

Cheers
Adam

I troied a load of CFL GU10's, they didnt last and light output was pathetic unless they were twice the length. Go for LED ones

Which led ones did you settle for mate? What wattage? The type I linked to in my original post?

Cheers
Adam

The half way house would be to deploy LED's to wasted light areas. If you have an array of 12 GU10's in a main recpt room, maybe 6 would / could be deemed as edge lighting and have no need for high lighting levels.
Those bulbs could be replaced for 3w LED's ?
Half way house, or half baked idea? ;)

The right answer is to realise that trying to light a room with an array of 2" torches fixed to the ceiling is a ludicrous idea.

Is there any other type of fitting I can replace them with which are efficient? PL Downlighters any good?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back