LED strip has random flicker...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a LED strip in the bathroom above a mirror. It's about 1.6m long. The electrician fitted a transformer for this, before I had bought the strip.
Connected it all up and immediately it started this random flicker, by flicker I mean the light would dim momentarily and only once, then back to normal output.
Looked at the transformer and it's output was very close to what the strip required, so bought a new transformer with plenty of capacity.
All has been fine for 6 months, except the flicker has started again.
Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
One thing has occurred to me. The strip is connected via a 'plug' that slides over the strip contacts and maybe in the bathroom humidity that contact is deteriorating.
As a general rule, it it best to solder strips than use the connectors?

The electrician fitted a transformer for this,

Exactly what did the electrician fit ? The majority of strips that look like this require a smooth DC supply of typically 12 Volts.
led-strip-jpg.197357

Electronic transformers do not always provide a smooth DC supply.

Thanks for your reply, I think it's the connector. The one he fitted was a clip-down type that made contact with the strip contacts. When I pressed it, the fluctuation disappeared. The transformer is a full LED compliant type. I am thinking more and more its the connector, not the transformer.

Sponsored Links
I always solder connection to those tapes, the contact area has to be free of any of the protective coating applied to the strip for a connector to made good contact..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back