Led replacements for mr16 bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought 6 led replacement bulbs for my kitchen, unfortunately after some time (5 minutes) of them being on they start flickering,

Is it because they don't like the transformers and I should change the transformers for led ones

Or is it because they are just rubbish bulbs.

Bulbs are integral led brand from tool station

Sponsored Links
There should be no problem with a toroidal transformer that is what they are designed to run from, often marked 50 Hz, however there may be a problem with an electronic transformer which is not really a transformer in the way we think of, but a switch mode power supply which often has a lower output limit and supplies AC in the Mhz range, often marked something like 35 - 55 VA which means bulb should be at least 35 watt and not more than 55 watt.

The bulbs are 5 watt led.

The transformers are 20-60va, looks like 1 transformer per bulb is fitted.

This
TLT50SLASH1.JPG
is a toroidal lighting transformer
Dimensions:
Height: 74mm.
Diameter: 63mm.
But a MR16 lamp as the name suggests is 16/8th of an inch (50 mm) so they will not often fit through the hole that the MR16 lamp fits into. MR16 means multifaceted reflector 16/8 inch across, so G5.3 and GU10 are both MR16 lights.

My old house had a 200 VA toroidal lighting transformer and I simply swapped quartz for LED and no problems even when I put in 0.58 watt versions from poundworld. Changed latter for 3 watt from Lidi.

Sponsored Links
Put all 6 bulbs on one electronic transformer it may work, should not really do it as it can form a mini transmitter due to frequency, but likely it will work.

Yeah that's easier said than done, some have been conveniently located next to the light and others are no where near lol.

I'll take the bulbs back, it only seem to be 5 of the 6 that are doing it so will try this route first.

If they still do it will have to rip up the floor boards in the room above and play about / replace the transformers

There was a Philips G5.3 bulb which claimed to trick the electronic transformer to thinking it had a large load, but never tried one.

Thanks, now that I've actually taken in what you wrote the penny has just dropped.

Im now trying to plot my next move, the lights can't stay as they are now nor as they were with halogens.

So I'm toying with removing the transformers and converting to GU10, or buying 6 new transformers that can drop to the correct load (tlc seem to do them from varilight) if sticking to transformers unlike this option as it means I don't lose all lights at once or rewire all bulbs to a single transformer

240V GU10 are the way to go.There is no advantage in using 12v GU5.3 as you have the additional cost and possible failure of power supplies.

Note GU10 are usually MR16 which is the size of the lamp in eights of an inch, nothing to do with the base or voltage.

The idea of G5.3 and 12 volt was one the filament was thicker so lasted longer, and two the electronic transformer got just the right voltage or more important heat, too cool and the tungsten would be deposited on the quartz and cause it to go black, that's why you should not dim quartz bulbs, and too hot and it would burn out. But with LED all that does not matter, so may as well use low voltage no need for extra low voltage, 230 volt is so much easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back