LED strip & switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased led strip lights that plug into a 12v power adaptor that plugs into a 13amp wall socket.
What I am after doing is to be able to be able to turn the LEDs on/off by using a separate wall switch.
How do I do this?
Advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Probably best solution would be to take a switched fuse connection unit from the socket circuit, use that as the switch and stick a socket on the load side, so the adaptor can plug in to it.
You could also use an isolation switch instead of the switched FCU, but would ideally be rated suitable for circuit.

S/FCU

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-20a-dp-switch-white/85957

Throw them away and buy some LED strips with a separate driver, and not one of those dreadful wall-wart thingies.

Sponsored Links
You only need to change driver, the LED strips are still OK.
When you change the driver you will need to know how the LED elements are configured in the strip and the required method of drive.

Some strips require a controlled current from the driver ( these are the strips that cannot be cut to length )

Some strips require a controlled voltage and have resistors incorporated into the strip.

Some strips require pulses of controlled current,

Some strips require pulsed of controlled voltage.

You only need to change driver, the LED strips are still OK.
When you change the driver you will need to know how the LED elements are configured in the strip and the required method of drive.

Some strips require a controlled current from the driver ( these are the strips that cannot be cut to length )

Some strips require a controlled voltage and have resistors incorporated into the strip.

Some strips require pulses of controlled current,

Some strips require pulsed of controlled voltage.

Maybe so, but the OP said he had a 12v power adapter so assumed the second (most common) type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back