LED Tape Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Another question on me on the subject of wiring in LED Tape..
I have ~6m of LED tape connected to a 12v DC power supply.
Between the PSU and the start of the tape is a run of around 3m.
Because it was a handy size, I've temporarily hooked up the tape with 2 core 0.75mm cable and all works fine. Total draw of the tape I believe to be around 72w.
On subsequent googling, I see many people suggest 1.5mm cable - but the reasoning I can find for this appears to be around voltage drop. The 0.75mm cable is much larger than that on the tape connecting strips (looks like bell wire) and seems to be working fine - so can I just stick with this, or should I really use a thicker cable?

Sponsored Links
72W at 12V = 6A and 0.75 mm² 56 mV/m/A so volt drop for 3 meters = 6 x 3 x 0.056 = 1 volt so strip is running on 11 volt, however LED strip is not to light a room it is just for decoration you would not use an LED package giving around 35 lumen per watt to light a room when normal LED lights give between 80 and 100 lumen per watt, so for decoration 11 volt is fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back