LED TV screen has wide grey vertical band

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a LG47LW551c LED 3D TV. The picture is almost perfect except for a light band running vertical on the right hand side of the picture. It is only noticable when watching vivid coloured programmes. I noticed it watching the football with the green pitch in the background. Is there anything I can do. I've attached a photo of the electronis inside.

View media item 78782
Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
A photo of the screen, highlighting the problem, would be useful.

Also, what is your level of expertise and what test/repair equipment have you access to?

What's the history of the fault? (When did it begin?)

What's the age of the TV?

I did try to do a photo but it did not come out well. I managed the one attached and you can see it. It starts in the middle and ends about 4 or 5 inches from the right. It goes from top to bottom.

I picked the tv up second hand so don't really know the history. It's about 3 years old.

I have a multimeter and soldering kit and I'm happy to try and repair it. I've done things like this before but i'm not familiar with TVs.

View media item 78797
Thanks

paul

I can see a darker vertical line through the Apple logo and a lighter vertical band through the "..ed" of "required". I guess those must be the outer edges of whatever you are seeing.

Sponsored Links
If it's a common fault, it will be featured on "You-Tube".

If it's a recognisable fault, a time-served TV repair engineer might be able to guess the cause but, more likely, will have to investigate by using very expensive test equipment.

The culprit could turn out to be nothing more than a 2p surface-mount resistor that's easy to replace, or a somewhat more expensive quadpack I.C. that needs a £4000 soldering station.

I think the best you can hope for is that someone guesses (correctly) that it's "the xyz board" and that you can locate one at an affordable price and replace it yourself. Some eBay sellers offer an exchange service.

Alternatively, congratulate yourself on getting a bargain, accept that consumer-grade products are never perfect and put up with it.

You could do worse than reseating the two flat cables to the panel on both ends. Never know.

a somewhat more expensive quadpack I.C. that needs a £4000 soldering station.

*snort*

If replacing a broken QFP you can do it with a sharp knife and an ordinary iron.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back