legal action against approved inspector

I knew a building inspector (retired now) who would turn up on site and introduce himself to the builder by saying "I'm your worst nightmare".

(LABC, of course).
did the builder own a brown and white dappled horse?

Sponsored Links
In my own experience a BCO told me how nice it was to deal with a DIYer who listened and did what he wast asked rather than spent the time arguing :D
Yes, and I'm sure that one positive experience outweighs the hundreds of bad ones.

Remember anyway, a civil matter works on a balance - so proportion/percentaqe of blame. If you did the wrong thing and he/she missed it then you'd find a big whack (or possibly all) of it could be attributed to you. You could end up 90% your fault 10% theirs... or worse... and guess whose going to have to pay the costs in such an outcome? It's not like criminal law where it's either guilty or not guilty but much more nuanced. Take great care!

did the builder own a brown and white dappled horse?
No, most of them didn't.
But it epitomizes the attitude of some - admittedly not all - LABC inspectors. Some of them have an attitude of superiority, and enjoy threatening builders with all sorts of dire consequences. As you know, many builders can be conscientious and do good work, without necessarily knowing the minutiae of the regs; nit-picking and peverse inspectors can make life very difficult, but it's part of the long-standing attitude amongst some in the public sector.
Thankfully, as more and more work is being undertaken by private inspectors, who are generally more customer-focused, the bad attitude of some in LABC will gradually become a thing of the past (hopefully).

Sponsored Links
Remember anyway, a civil matter works on a balance - so proportion/percentaqe of blame. If you did the wrong thing and he/she missed it then you'd find a big whack (or possibly all) of it could be attributed to you. You could end up 90% your fault 10% theirs... or worse... and guess whose going to have to pay the costs in such an outcome? It's not like criminal law where it's either guilty or not guilty but much more nuanced. Take great care!
Slightly off-topic but is that a Defender?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back