Length of Plasterboard screws for 12.5mm board + help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

What would be the normal length of screw to use when fixing 12.5mm plasterboard to the ceiling?

3.5x 25,32,38,51 or 60? (screwfix has so much choice)

Also, I assume battens are required for any edge to edge boards that do not have any support at the joints?

as always, many thanks in advance :)

Alex.

Sponsored Links
38-40mm minimum for 12.5 plasterboard and 32mm for 9.5mm plasterboard, the longer screws are for when overboarding over the old ceiling as well so I'm assuming you're fixing straight to the ceiling joists(?)

As a rule, 3 x time the thickness

eg: 1/3 material and 2/3 into timber, the same with nails.

Approximately every 150mm about 25mm to the edge and the screws head should be just under the surface of the plasterboard paper.

Go easy on these screws as not to over drive the screws, not easy to start with but you will get the hang of it

thanks for your help masona :)
talking to someone at work they have said it also helps if I offset each row, to avoid long sections that can crack after plastering.

rednaxela said:
talking to someone at work they have said it also helps if I offset each row, to avoid long sections that can crack after plastering.

That's right - stagger the joints to avoid a crack along the entire length of the wall.

Sponsored Links
I have also got a 3m stud wall to construct on the 1st floor.
Is it normal to fit the ceiling first in the whole area, and then construct the wall, or is it best to construct the wall first?

(My DIY books explain how to build the wall, but never is much help with the order in which things are done :cry: )

I always board ceiling first then board wall. Plaster ceiling next then plaster wall.

Remember also to get some scrim tape and tape all the joints (including those between ceiling and wall) before skimming.

To make life easier you can make a "dead man" prop out say 3"x1" timber like a T shape (2 x45 degree angle brace as well) to hold the plasterboard on the ceiling or you buy them here, they are normally about £15 in builder merchant called Easi-prop, another one here

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
rednaxela said:
I have also got a 3m stud wall to construct on the 1st floor.
Is it normal to fit the ceiling first in the whole area, and then construct the wall, or is it best to construct the wall first?

(My DIY books explain how to build the wall, but never is much help with the order in which things are done :cry: )

if the proposed wall runs with the ceiling joists, don't forget to fix some bearer noggings before plasterboarding to catch the ceiling plate, that's if the wall happens to fall between joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back