Hi,

Any suggestions please...

Some background first....
Old 1900s house
Small bathroom approx floor area 2.5m x 2.5m
Floor is floorboards with plenty of gaps
Rental property being tidied up after long standing tenant has passed away
Will be re-rented

The bathroom floor was carpeted but it was obvious that the toilet was on a large plinth with the carpet over it. I presumed the plinth was there because the hole in the wall for the toilet waste was too high.
Have removed carpet and found that the plinth is there because the floor has dipped badly. No rot, just age. It is probably down by 1.5" or so.
It is all quite strong and firm. Boards need local attention.

I really do not want to embark on bath out and all boards up so want to do something on top if possible.

Am considering tightening all boards and replacing bits where required. I am confident the floor will then be quite solid. Then cover the whole with a thin WBP ply to get a reasonable surface without being much higher than the outside of the bathroom. Then make up the lower area as required with more ply, then skim over with a flexible self levelling compound to around 5mm.

Not looking for perfection, just a reasonable surface that will take a vinyl finish without knowing the toilet is on a plinth.

Thanks

andytw

Sponsored Links
1. Excepting the bath, do you intend to strip the b/r of all fixtures, or leave them in place during the proposed work?

2. You must, i'd suggest, determine the cause of the floor drop. Examine for level from the floor below, the ceiling, door and window heads, and any signs of disturbed plaster. Is the "ground" floor below level?

2A. Perhaps remove a board near to the wall where the joists bear. And examine the joist tails.

3. Examine the exterior wall for cracks or bulges.

4. Have any historical knock-thro's taken place?

5. How high to the centre of the soil pipe stub, or hub, from the floor as is. 180/190 mm is the desired height from FFL.

6. What type of wc is in-situ?

7. Your proposal for "levelling" out the floor might cause you further grief.

8. "Tightening the boards up" might lead you to fixing into hidden pipes and cables.

Just noticed your second post. You say "looks good", well maybe, but what happened next? What was fixed or laid over the proposal? How did it prosper?

Others might be more sympathetic to your ideas and, hopefully, offer various and better approaches.

Sponsored Links
Just noticed your second post. You say "looks good", well maybe, but what happened next? What was fixed or laid over the proposal? How did it prosper?

Others might be more sympathetic to your ideas and, hopefully, offer various and better approaches.

By "Looks Good" I was referring to the post in the flooring forum. I have re-edited my second post. Still at the thinking stage !!

andytw

I understood what you were referring to, and, to me, it didn't look too good.
There are a number of built-in, and depending on what came next, difficulties to the approach in the flooring forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back