Levelling a floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use BAL Arcybase to level out our bathroom floor. It's fairly flat to start with, and the Arcybase will be 2mm to 4mm in thickness. There two or three different areas where old adhesive has been removed, where the bath used to be, and where the concrete has been damaged over the years.

The instructions say to pour the mix out and spread it with a trowel. I'm concerned that this is a bit like plastering - and my plastering isn't very flat or smooth! Does anyone have any suggestions how to get it level? The room is 2m x 2m - not too big, but sufficiently big that I won't be able to reach the far wall from the doorway when it's all poured out. There's talk of "self levelling" but if it's that runny then surely it wouldn't need trowelling? I contemplated burrying battens in it but at 2 to 4mm thickness they'll be hard to make and fit. Then I'd need a second mix to fill in the gaps afterwards.

So - I'd appreciate any advise from people who have used this product? Am I worrying over nothing? How is best to get a smooth and level base?

Ant

Sponsored Links
Hi there,
i've nevr heard of BAL although i use a product called F.Ball (green bag) often. As you know the instructions i gather you have already bought the product. Most importantly, is the levelling compound water based (mixed with water) or is there a liquid that comes with it? without this knowledge there are different ways to use it. i'll assume for now it is water based. Firstly, fill any deep hoes with some sand/cement. Second, remove all debris and hoover the floor to remove dust. Usually a primer is used beforehand, like a diluted pva to help the screed stick, apply this and let it dry. Starting at the furthest point from the door, pour the screed mixture to cover only as as far as you can reach against the far wall. It will start to level itself but you need a trowel to push it into corners and to spread it evenly. Don't play around with it too long just spread it evenly, no plastering required lol. Then add the rest, pour it about 6 iches in front of the last one and it will meet up with the first pouring, now use the trowel again to meet up with the first, it doesn't have to be perfect here as you will see the next day. If you have any bumbs or raised spots, you can sand these down to produce a better finish. make sure you have enough, the bag will tell you how far it will spread.

I want to use BAL Arcybase to level out our bathroom floor. It's fairly flat to start with, and the Arcybase will be 2mm to 4mm in thickness. There two or three different areas where old adhesive has been removed, where the bath used to be, and where the concrete has been damaged over the years.

The instructions say to pour the mix out and spread it with a trowel. I'm concerned that this is a bit like plastering - and my plastering isn't very flat or smooth! Does anyone have any suggestions how to get it level? The room is 2m x 2m - not too big, but sufficiently big that I won't be able to reach the far wall from the doorway when it's all poured out. There's talk of "self levelling" but if it's that runny then surely it wouldn't need trowelling? I contemplated burrying battens in it but at 2 to 4mm thickness they'll be hard to make and fit. Then I'd need a second mix to fill in the gaps afterwards.

So - I'd appreciate any advise from people who have used this product? Am I worrying over nothing? How is best to get a smooth and level base?

Ant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back