Levelling a very out of level kitchen floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
In the process of levelling my kitchen floor. Its so out its quite unreal. I am going to get some self levelling compound next weekend, just primed the floor.

The question I have is the kitchen is small, say 2.5m x 2.5m, its kind of level through the middle but seriously but has a slant on each side, what I would like to do is get something that will indicate when I have reached the level and the level at the entrance is what I want to keep.

I have seen the tripods which look like a decent solution but they are like £10 each and I would need a fair few. I have seen that some people use screws but my base is very old clay tiles so can't do that.

I am finding it quite hard to work out how I am going to do this. Help

Sponsored Links
DIYer

I have only used SLC once on a similar sized Room. Was a bit stressful but turned out well in the end.
Used Mapei 3240 as had 25-30mm to lift in some Areas
I used Screws into a Concrete Floor to ensure I was at about the right depth.

Could you use Packers glued to the Tiles?

The SLC will find it's own level to a degree but does need helping around.
I should have used a spiked Roller. Ended up using a Plastering Trowel and a Garden Rake !!

Ended up with a few Dips but easily fixed with a re-prime and some Mapei 1210 that could be feathered out.
Fairly easy to add to the Layer. Not so easy if you pour too much.

Have you primed with the right stuff?
Sometimes see people doing it with PVA which is no good.
I used Setcrete SLC Primer as was available from Wickes in a small Bottle.

Couple of Flexi Tubs and a Mixer of some sort. I used a Paddle on my Titan SDS.
Buy a few more Bags than you think you need. Return the Excess.
Have somewhere to rinse your tools/buckets. It will block Drains (oops).

The question I have is the kitchen is small, say 2.5m x 2.5m, its kind of level through the middle but seriously but has a slant on each side,
Sorry, probably not useful!
My galley kitchen is about 2.3m x 3.2m. there was a dip towards the edges of the floor, but that didn't matter, as that's where the cabinets were going!
How much area is going to be hidden?

I used mapei primer so I hope it is good :) Its going to have laminate flooring on top so not that important to get it mega level but at the moment its way too much, might do the packer thing though. I see there are things called measuring pegs which look ok

Sponsored Links
In the end I have just purchased some 4mm dowels which are 15cm long. Hopefully I can fashion something from these (only cost £5.99) Im thinging of placing them into some thin timber and then measuring the right height and marking these, see how it goes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back