levelling floor before laying tiles ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am just about to self level my kitchen diner floor as it has a few dips slopes etc but just how far do i go as heard the tiler can level the floor to a certain extent with the floor adhesive ..the dips do need filling around the kitchen but the sloped floor in the diner is actually quite flat in appearance although does run out of level 10mm + when i put the long level on it ?(plan to rent the house out within 2 yrs btw) cheers again :)

Sponsored Links
A floor needs to flat rather than level.If a room runs out of level by 25mm over the length and was levelled you could be running 25mm up the wall or if doors at opposing ends then creating a step.

Powdered adhesive can be used to bed up in places.

Powder addy can be used for local levelling & filling up to around 12mm but I wouldn’t advise using it wholesale to level out the floor. You need a nice flat base especially with large format tiles or it will reflect how flat the finished floor is & it could end up looking awful; better to get the tile base flat using a SLC. If it’s flat but out of level by 10mm over the floor area of the room, you’d be unlikely to notice that unless you’re also tiling the walls.

Your best bet is to consult your tiler before you do anything, he will advise the best course of action in each case.

Sponsored Links
yeah it is flat but sloping..and yeah it could cause problems raising the floor level etc...think im just going to spread some over the worst affected areas dips etc..bought 8 bags of self levell deep compound frm wickes but dont think i will use all that now so can take any unused back they said for a refund :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back