Floor leveller on plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm approaching the point soon at which I will be able to tile my upstairs bathroom floor and have noticed that due to the irregularity of the joisting, there's a dip in the middle of the floor (about 6mm). This is potentially going to make the tiling more difficult, so I am considering the possibility of using some floor levelling compound before laying the tiles.

The floor is currently 19mm plywood and I've bought some suitable adhesive.

I'm now left wondering if a floor leveller exists that can be used on a plywood floor. Will ordinary levellers work in this situation? If so, will my plywood adhesive still work on the levelling compound?

I'm currently wondering if I could apply a layer of the adhesive as a leveller and then lay the tiles on that. Is that such a bad idea?

Thanks in advance

Jever

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Just to follow up on this, I put a layer of adhesive down to fill the low areas, left it to dry and then came back and laid the tiles.

I originally had an 8mm dip in the floor, which I reduced to 4mm with the first layer. Additional adhesive in the low areas whilst laying the tiles means I got the dip down to 2mm.

Just grouted it, it all looks great. I'd recommend this solution if you're faced with a similar problem.

Jever

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back