Tiling onto plywood floor - flexible adhesive, membrane or hardieboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having my hallway tiled, 10m long by 1m wide in a Victorian terraced house that originally had geometric tiled floor on compacted cinder but it subsided and cracked beyond repair. Had the whole lot dug out, joists inserted every 30cm so as to be super rigid for taking tiles, then 18mm plywood screwed onto the joists and insulation under the ply. So the plywood sub floor is perfectly smooth and pretty rigid. I will be putting 25cm square porcelain tiles down which are 10mm thick.

I'm really confused about what needs to come between the plywood and the underside of the tile :) in a fairly high traffic room. Should it be
1. flexible adhesive only?
2. appropriate adhesive then matting (Mapetex, Ditra etc) then more tile adhesive then tiles?
3. hardieboard or equivalent then tile adhesive?

To add a further twist the builders who did the plywood sheets brought them too close to the level of the top of the floor in the other rooms. Factor in 10mm thick tiles and there is barely enough for one layer of adhesive otherwise the tiles will protrude way above the other floors and present a trip hazard. So if I go for something other than glue the tiles directly onto plywood I need the thinnest solution that will successfully do the job. I'm a bit put off the idea of building the floor up by potentially 10mm with hardieboard and two layers of adhesive for instance. What if any decoupling products would you recommend or is bog standard flexible adhesive alone enough?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back