Preparing bathroom floor for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 22mm floorboards over joists in bathroom, all in very good conditions with very little deflection. I am looking at tiling the bathroom floor with natural stone tiles and having electric UFH in as well. Would it be ok to overboard floor with 6mm tile backing boards and then tile on top of them or should I replace with plywood?

Are there also any tile backing boards which act as insulation boards as well providing extra benefit over plywood floor?

I presume the layers would then be:
-joists
-floorboards
-any primer on floorboards?
-6mm tile backer/insulation board
- decoupling membrane?
- electric ufh/primer
- tile adhesive
- tile

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Screw existing f/boards.....to joists.....
Then follow your list....

Marmox insulation boards....Min 6mm ..maybe look into 10mm +,better heat up time...

When you have set out your elect ufh....use a latex based self level compound over it using a plastic trowel...and don't forget the uncoupling membrane...this is a must with natural stone....

Enjoy.. ;)

Thanks,
If I am using marmox boards, would that not take out any lateral movement, negating the need for SLC?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back